How to Properly Do Customer Segmentation in Klaviyo
One of the most significant advantages of using Klaviyo is its extensive capability for seamless customer segmentation. If you want to operate a successful eCommerce store using Shopify, understanding and effectively using Klaviyo's customer segmentation features is vital. They allow you to granulate your customer base, customize your communication, and create targeted marketing campaigns. Here's a comprehensive guide to getting it done right.
Understanding Customer Segmentation
Before delving into the 'how', let's understand the 'why'. Classic ""one-size-fits-all"" marketing strategies are no longer effective. Modern consumers want personalized shopping experiences and tailored communication. Customer segmentation essentially means dividing your customer base into well-defined groups based on a variety of factors such as demographics, behavior, purchasing history, and more.
Getting Started with Klaviyo Segments
Let's now move on to creating customer segments in Klaviyo. Here are the steps:
1. Navigate to the ""Segments"" tab in Klaviyo: First, login to your Klaviyo account and navigate to the ""Lists & Segments"" tab. Here, you will find the ""Create List/Segment” button. Click on it, and then choose ""Segment"".
2. Name Your Segment: You need to give a suitable name to each of your segments. The name you choose needs to reflect the characteristics of the customers encompassed by that segment.
3. Choose Segment Conditions: This is the crucial step where you define the conditions for customer classification. Klaviyo offers an extensive array of segmentation criteria that you can combine in numerous ways. You can segment by profile properties (like location), metrics (like money spent), integration properties (like Shopify purchase behavior), list membership and many more.
4. Save and Review Your Segment: After setting up the conditions, save your segment. Klaviyo will immediately generate a list of customers falling into your defined segment. You can now start targeting these customers with personalized messages and campaigns.
Best Practices for Customer Segmentation in Klaviyo
Now that we understand how to create a segment in Klaviyo, let’s look at some best practices for customer segmentation:
- Segment by Purchase Behaviour: This means you separate customers based on what they've bought in the past, how often they make a purchase, and how much they spend.
- Segment by Engagement Level: This segmentation can help you in identifying who are the most engaged and least engaged customers.
- Segment by Lifecycle Stage: Segmenting customers by whether they are new subscribers, active buyers, or at-risk can help you retain your customers effectively.
- Relevance is Key: Always keep relevance in mind when setting the conditions for your segmentation. Remember, not all information is useful.
- Regularly Update Segments: Lastly, remember to update your segments as customer behavior is not an invariable factor.
Remember, the correct customer segmentation can drastically improve the ROI on your marketing campaigns by sending the right message to the right customer. With Klaviyo, you have a powerful tool at your disposal. Make sure to use it strategically to unlock its full potential.